Thursday, June 7, 2012

Laos: Over Si Phan Don

No, I haven't been to Laos yet.

We were on flight to Bangkok. The aircraft took off  Philippines almost sunset. Fastened my seat belt and not minding the Flight Attendants routinary demonstration, I headed to sleep.

Well, sort of a sleep. It really pays to check-in ahead and be able to choose your preferred seat. And since it didn't happen to us, we can't choose but to get our butts seated on the last row where passengers pass on their way to the washroom and worse, bang the cabin door.

I was thinking that this would be the worst-est flight ever. I can't wait to land.

What annoys me the most is that, we left with sun almost to set and like after a couple of hours, the sun is still peeking and is higher than the last time I checked it. Lol. I know, I know. It's the boredom and the fact that I can't get my eyes shut.

Then after much humming, I peeked. And whoa, "Is that Si Phan Don?" I asked myself with uncertainty. I quickly took out my cam and shoot it without even setting it. Hehe.

                                                                       4000 islands!
                                   

I have been reading and bumping blogs regarding Si Phan Don aka 4000 islands for this is one of the routes backpackers take on their way to up to Laos or way down to Cambodia, a banana-pancake route for some. Don Khong being the biggest, Don Det and Don Khon as the most visited. This is also where the widest waterfalls in South East-Asia and where the Irrawaddy Dolphins, a rare species of pink river dolphins, dwell. Cool huh? Not just that, one of the bloggers even testified that this is also the place where she had got the lowest accommodation ever in her backpacking days, for 1USD a night!

Well perhaps, this is just one among the delights of backpacking. A sneak preview, a trailer, for me to really not just book but fly.



No comments: